Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Comparing Organic Skin Care Home Business vs Natural

Are there are differences between an organic skin care home business vs natural? Some people join an organic company because they think it's safer or better and that's far from the truth. In this post, I'm busting the myths of organic products so you'll know what's the real deal.

When it comes to skin care and personal care products, it's all in the ingredients. This is the one area the FDA requires all companies disclose the ingredients in their products in descending order. If you're considering an organic skin care company to join vs a natural company, here are some things to consider:

First, understanding what does it really mean to be organic or certified organic? And what does it mean to be natural? The truth is, natural ingredients are organic ingredients, the certification part is verification from a third-party that the ingredients are indeed grown organically (see explanation below).

There are different organic associations. In the US, it's the USDA Organic which is the highest authority. There's Soil in the UK and one in Australia. To carry the USDA Organic seal, the ingredients must be 95% organic and no synthetic ingredients. Compared to Soil Association, a company can have the organic label with 70% organic and it allows some synthetic chemicals. If you're a company caring the Soil organic label, you're allowed to have synthetic ingredients in the products.

More from the USDA Organic Skincare  ...

•Products claiming to be “organic” – e.g. “Organic Shampoo” – must be certified to the USDA NOP standard, the same standard to which organic foods must be certified. This standard requires 95% organic ingredients and places strict restrictions on the substances that can be used in the remaining 5%.
•Products claiming to be “made with organic _____” – e.g. “Made with organic essential oils and extracts” – must be certified to the USDA NOP “made with organic” standard, which requires at least 70% organic ingredients and places strict restrictions on the substances that can be used in the remaining 30%.
•Products making the claim “contains organic _____” – e.g “Contains organic rosemary, clove and thyme oils” – must be certified to the NSF 305 Personal Care Standard. This consensus-based standard requires at least 70% organic ingredients, and like the USDA NOP standard, places strict restrictions on the substances that can be used in the remaining 30%.

Source: USDA Organic Skincare  http://usdaorganicskincare.com

What about natural products company?

With so many of them how do you know they're really natural. See Toxins to Avoid for more info but your best bet is to look at the ingredients on the products. If you're on the company website, there should be ingredients listed under each product. When I come across an ingredient I'm unfamiliar with, I Google it or search on the EWG.org which lists thousands of ingredients for toxicity levels.

The rule of thumb is, less ingredients is better than a long list of ingredients, especially ones that sound scientific. And the top part of the ingredients will tell you how concentrated the products are so you're not wasting money on products that say anti-aging yet the first ingredient is water, follow by glycerin which can be synthetic, and somewhere towards the bottom of the list you see anti-aging ingredients.

Unfortunately, misinformed people assume that a certified organic company is safer and maybe even better because it's organic but that's inaccurate. Certified organic ingredients or organic ingredients do not mean it's safer. An irritant is still an irritant.

Here's a better explanation from the USDA Organic Skincare ...

Are cosmetics made with “organic” ingredients safer for consumers than those made with ingredients from other sources?

No. An ingredient’s source does not determine its safety. For example, many plants, whether or not they are organically grown, contain substances that may be toxic or allergenic. For more on this subject, see FDA Poisonous Plant Database. Under the FD&C Act, all cosmetic products and ingredients are subject to the same safety requirement: They must be safe for consumers under labeled or customary conditions of use (FD&C Act, section 601(a). Companies and individuals who market cosmetics have a legal responsibility to ensure that their products and ingredients are safe for the intended use.
The main reason for this article is because there are misinformed people when it comes to organic products. Organic products as being safer than natural products or even non-natural products is a myth as referenced above.

So which business is better for you- organic or natural?

The answer isn't in the company itself or whether it's organic or natural but which company resonates most with you based on your interest, lifestyle choices, financial goals, which products work best for you, and so forth.

Bottom line is, when it comes to choosing between an organic skin care company to join vs a natural one, it's more than the products, the ingredients, the expensive marketing, or press coverage. Ultimately it's about YOU. Will you be a customer for the company even if you're not doing the business? I've seen many wonderful products but if I'm not willing to buy the products as a retail customer, I would not pursue the business.

If you love the products, that's a great start because you have to be a customer first. It doesn't matter if it's organic or natural or something else if you can't sell the products to real customers.

Best,

Janette Stoll
#1 Team Leader
campopfan@gmail.com

3 comments:

Adrea John said...

Companies are now using harsh chemicals in their skin care products which are destroying the benefits of natural ingredients. Natural Organic Care is providing products, made of natural ingredients and are free of harsh chemical.

seher aniat said...

The project is raising funds for geographical region life Trust’s Youth Rangers. geared toward 16-25 year old, our Youth Ranger cluster is for anyone UN agency needs to induce outside, facilitate native life and learn sensible conservation skills. we tend to presently have 2 volunteer teams primarily based in city and Crowley, please see our web site page for additional details
Home Based Opportunities

Jennifer Green said...

It’s best to use thin headbands when you want an effect that is sleek, like a minimal statement. Say, if you’re wearing bold jewelry and you want to keep the attention to them or if you’re wearing slammin’ visit:Party Plan